A few years back I wrote a narrative on indoor farming (you can read it here).  The technology has grown and grown (pun intended) and now we are seeing some incredible changes. Sananbio, one of the world’s largest indoor farming technology providers, has announced an unmanned vertical farming system.

Here’s how it works:
–Pour the seeds in the seeder. It takes only a few days for veggies to start appearing.
–Vegetables grow almost 24 hours a day in the indoor light.
–In 5,000 SF you can grow 6-8 tons of fresh leafy greens every day!

If you have one minute watch the video…incredible.

So where does this fit in commercial real estate?
1—Potentially changing obsolescent industrial space into food-producing factories.
2—Indoor farm to table in the city, cutting almost all trucking and logistics.
3—Fresh vegetables for schools and, nonprofits.  I work closely with St. Vincent de Paul here in Phoenix and we serve over 3,000 meals every day of the year.  How about building one of these next to our dining facilities and serving fresh vegetables?

So good. Give me a call or shoot me an e-mail to let me know how this could help your business or if you want to volunteer at St. Vincent de Paul.


Unmanned system lifts up vertical farming to the next level

July 16, 2020

SANANBIO, one of the world’s largest indoor farming technology providers announces the availability of its unmanned vertical farming system, a.k.a. UPLIFT, to growers globally.

Pour your seeds in the seeder and do nothing but expect fresh veggies to be harvested in a matter of days,” said Zhan Zhuo, co-founder and CEO of Sananbio. Uplift has been under tests in the last two years and proves to be commercially feasible and ready to be established as turnkey projects for worldwide growers.

This fact is especially meaningful for the regions of the world that struggle with water shortages and harsh agricultural conditions.” said Zhan.We’ve also upgraded our water circulation system so that 60% of the water can be absorbed by plants and the remaining 40% recycled. With the same farm size, Uplift’s productivity is 6 times of a 6-layered vertical farm. The increased yield means a lowered cost, which in turn makes our produce affordable to more people. It can produce 6-8 tons of fresh leafy greens every day in a farm of only 5,000 sqm. By stacking up layers higher than a traditional vertical farm, we can best utilize the space to increase the yields

Uplift uses PlantKeeper, a proprietary indoor farming management system, control and monitor environmental factors so farm operators can be updated with real-time growing conditions throughout the farm. By using simple and proven robotics and conveyor systems, Uplift automates seeding, transplanting, harvesting, plant transporting and system cleaning, reducing labor intensity to its lowest.

We’re phasing out manpower to make our produces available for more people. So we can say that Uplift is unmanned for humanity,” said Zhan.

Join the C2
You will receive concise insights on all things commercial real estate along with top level trade secrets.
Weekly Narrative